Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cougars and Cubs

Am I missing out on love by not dating younger men?

Although I've never been attracted to younger men, I do find that I'm getting approached by them a lot more lately. The problem is, I can't bring myself to go out with one because of my long-held belief that I'm going to meet and fall in love with an Ed Bradley look alike. I've always preferred older--much older--men. But seeing my 40-something relatives take those little blue pills got me rethinking my strategy. Maybe dating a younger man isn't such a bad thing after all.

This captivation with older men is not new. During my early teen years, it was Max Robinson. Maybe I was into afros back then. I'm not sure, because that's certainly not the case now. And most recently it was Ed Bradley. (I'm noticing a journalist pattern forming here.) He was the man of my dreams: gray hair, earring (and I usually don't like men with earrings), confidence. He definitely epitomized sexy to me.

Aside from the attraction to older men, one of the reasons why I can count on one hand the number of younger men I've dated is because we were usually in such different places in our lives emotionally and economically. I had four children by the time I was 21, and separated from my husband when my youngest was only six months. So while I worked feverishly to to build a life for my children as a single mom, I didn't have men my age kicking down my door. And since I wasn't going to settle for a thug or dope feine just because I was a young mother with a lot of kids, I decided to focus on self-development instead of relationships. And as I developed as a woman and mother, and repositioned myself financially and emotionally, I found that I had more in common with older men who already had kids and were more established in their careers.

max-robinson.gif
Max Robinson,
my teenage crush

ed-bradley.jpg
Ed Bradley was the man
of my dreams.

It's a new day for me. And with all the attention I'm getting from younger men, I'm now asking what is it about 40-year-old women that younger men find so attractive? And why am I now finding them equally attractive?

halle-berry-and-gabrielle-aubrey.jpg
Halle Berry with beau,
Gabriel Aubrey, who is
almost 10 years her junior

terry-mcmillan-and-jonathan-plummer2.jpg
Terry McMillan and the
man she got her groove
back with, Jonathan
Plummer, have a 23-year
age difference

demi-moore-and-ashton-kutcher.bmp
Demi Moore is 16 years
older than her husband,
Ashton Kutcher

Talk to me, what would I have in common with a younger man?

No comments:

Post a Comment