Tuesday, November 17, 2009

High Maintenance, High Standards, or Just High Hopes?

As a 40-something single woman, I'm stepping back onto the dating scene with high hopes and even higher expectations. I'm expecting....err, anticipating a different crop of men than the ones I’ve dated in the past.

Not only have I aged, but I've matured spiritually, financially, and emotionally. And I want a similar level of maturity from my mate.

A big part of getting what I want is first knowing what it is. As part of my maturation, I know that I can't be too picky, so I've relaxed some--not all--of my "rules." There's no compromising those things that are important to me like he MUST be single and have a legitimate source of income, but there is a little more wiggle room on the list:

My future husband must:
  • Be a Christian who is actively practicing his faith.

  • Be socially conscious, extremely intelligent and a great communicator.

  • Be COMPLETELY heterosexual. He cannot be nor ever have been on the downlow. Likewise, he must not have any homosexual tendencies.

  • Have direction in his life, know what he wants, and is working to get it. (I can’t follow a parked car.)

  • Want a relationship with me, and only me. He must have all of his previous relationship issues resolved.

  • Be a non-smoker, and preferably a non-drinker.

  • Be financially responsible, including providing for his children, if he has any.

  • Pay for the first date...FOR BOTH OF US.

Am I being realistic, or am I still a little too picky?

No comments:

Post a Comment